New York City is considered to be the largest city in the United States and the second largest city in the world. Nicknamed “The Big Apple” or “The City that Never Sleeps,” New York is located in the northeastern portion of the country. The city has everything that you could want. While in The Big Apple, you can experience the arts, great food, a rich history, and excellent shopping.Attractions in New York
There are so many things to do in New York City that it is hard to know where to begin. There are a variety of companies who offer escorted tours
to make it easier for you to get around. Here are a few of the most popular attractions in the city:
New York Dining
- The Statue of Liberty: Lady Liberty was given to the United States by the country of France as a symbol of friendship. The statue stands proud in the harbor as she represents freedom and hope. The Statue of Liberty is one of the most recognized landmarks in the world. There are escorted tours that will take you to The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
- The Empire State Building: This 102 story building represents the New York City skyline. Millions visit the historic landmark to get a breath-taking view of the city. The building is the site of many famous movies, such as King Kong, an Affair to Remember, and Sleepless in Seattle.
- Times Square: You cannot go to New York without seeing the famous Times Square. The square is known for its neon lights and signs, and it is a lively place at all hours of the day and night.
- Broadway Plays: In Times Square, there are many brilliant plays and musicals to attend. The Lion King and Wicked are two of the most popular shows on Broadway.
- Central Park: It is always relaxing to take a leisurely stroll through Central Park. You can walk or you can take a carriage ride through the park. Many people just like to sit on a park bench and watch other people.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: Located near Central Park, this museum features more than two million works of art from world-famous artists.
There are so many restaurants in New York that it is hard to know where to eat during your stay. Restaurants range from inexpensive to very expensive, depending on your price range. The following are just a few of the excellent eating establishments in the city:
Sports in New York
- The Boathouse: Located in the heart of Central Park, The Boathouse offers fine dining, rowboat rentals, or you can ride in a Venetian gondola. Dining is offered year-round and it overlooks the lake.
- Pizza: When visiting New York, you must try the pizza. Pizza places seem to be on every corner in Manhattan. Ray’s Pizza is one of the most popular pizza joints. Pizza at John’s on Bleecker, located between 6th and 7th Avenues, is another excellent pizza establishment.
- Hotdogs: New York is also famous for their hot dogs. Nathan’s Hot Dog is a great place on Coney Island to chow down on a delicious dog. The Gray’s Papaya is also another restaurant where you can get a mouth-watering hot dog.
- The Kayz’s Deli Pastrami Sandwich: Located on the lower East side, this restaurant is home to one of the best pastrami sandwiches you can get.
Sports teams in New York have a long standing history. Sports fans will not be disappointed when they visit The Big Apple. For the baseball fan, there are the New York Yankees and New York Mets. Both have a rich history of playing the sport.
If you are a fan of The National Football League, you can watch the New York Giants and the New York Jets play. They play in East Rutherford at New Meadowlands Stadium. It will be home to the Super Bowl in 2014.
The New York Rangers and the New York Islanders represent New York in professional hockey. They play in Madison Square Garden and Nassau Coliseum.
The city has the New York Knicks and the WNBA team of the New York Liberty. In soccer, the New York Red Bulls represent the city.
There are also many other sporting events in the city. The U.S Open Tennis Tournament is held every September in Queens, and the world’s largest marathon, The New York City Marathon is held in New York.
When to Visit
There are a number of different weather conditions in New York. May is probably the best month to visit. The weather is sunny and warm, and you can enjoy walking around in the city.
It can get pretty cold in the winter months. However, the frigid weather does not keep millions of people from lining the streets of Times Square to watch the ball drop on New Year’s Eve. During the Christmas season, New York is decorated with lights trees, and a magical glow.
The summer months are pretty hot, but it is very pleasant in September and October. The trees in October begin to turn brown, and the air starts to get a little crisp. The city has a Halloween Parade with costumes of every kind.
New York is one of the most visited cities in the country. It is a spectacular city that will leave you with lasting memories.